Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Year of Virtue

 The Nine Noble Virtues

This year, I’ve decided to take up a challenge that a lovely friend of mine, Brynn, has done for the last two years. She takes one of the Nine Noble Virtues of Asatru and applies it to her life for the entire year. This she does through self-examination and an analysis of her everyday life to see where and how she can bring her chosen virtue more fully into her life and relationships.

I think this is a wonderful idea. I have decided to do this and see where the journey leads me each year. Although my friend chooses her virtues, I decided to let the Gods choose mine and, seeing as I’m a fledgling gamer, I rolled a dice. As there are nine virtues, I used a ten-sided dice from my gaming set, a D10, and ignored the zero.

Here is my D10 result: 3

As you can see from the picture at the top of this post, the number three virtue is Honour and so that's the virtue I’ll be working on during this next year.

Here’s the definition of Honour from an article on the ‘A Heathen Blog – Expanding Inwards’ by Bernulf Oswin.

‘Honor: is not about reputation or esteem, because people can have the best of reputations and have very little honor – honor is more about worth and integrity as a human being.’

There is also an additional definition of Honour on the Odins Volk website.

‘Honour is the feeling of inner value and worth from which one knows that one is noble of being, and the desire to show respect for this quality when it is found in the world. Of all the Virtues, this one is often the hardest to define, as each person's interpretation of this is different. It could translate as "self-image", or "self-esteem"…’

Although I consider myself to be an honest and honourable person, I shall endeavour to bring more honour into my life and my dealings with others. I can see how this also applies to me on the self-image or self-esteem level.

At the end of the year, I will let you know what I've learnt from this experience.

Happy new Gregorian Calendar year!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea. May 2011 be honour-filled for you! I like how you wrote "Happy new Gregorian Calendar year" -- yes, definitely the upstart new kid on the block in terms of reckoning time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the post and the idea.

    Thanks for dropping in. :)

    ReplyDelete